Sheboygan River Progressive Farmers
You're Invited — Field Day - Wed., April 21 - 1:00-2:00PM
Joe Wagner Farm - W8511 Glen Rd, Glenbeulah (3 miles west of Glenbeulah)
Dan Smith, UW-Madison Nutrient & Pest Management
Tony Peirick, President Dodge County Healthy Soil & Water Farmer-led Group
Questions? Please call Joe at 920-838-1102.
MISSION AND PURPOSE:
To test and explore farming strategies that lead to improved soil health, greater farming efficiency, sustain profitability and lessen the impact on the environment.
Members of the alliance will share information gained through field trials with fellow farmers, thus increasing the sustainability of farming across the basin.
Lastly, the group strives to foster an understanding of the role of agriculture in the community.
• Member farmers will identify the most vulnerable fields that have potential to be improved with on farm conservation methods.
• Measure soil health of fields that will act as test/demo sites.
• Commit to several years of action on individual fields to better show a shift in soil health and crop sustainability.
• Hold an annual field day at several sites to exhibit improvements and techniques.
• Work with the non-farming community to reach water quality goals and enhance the sense of community between rural and urban residents in the basin.
Will be individuals who are actively engaged in agriculture that have the ability to test out new best management practices on a portion of their owned or rented land.
Members will be eligible for financial assistance through the group to implement new practices.
Tracking and sharing the results of those experiments with other members, either at the meetings or during field days is highly encouraged.